Monday, August 22, 2011

Pressing Towards the Goal

Mommyhood is hard work. It can easily drive you to drink. Hopefully coffee. It can also drive you into the arms of another. Another donut or piece of chocolate that is. This morning I was trying to inspire my kids by asking them how we can love others like God loves us. I suggested things like hug others, as I gave my three year old a hug, or play with other kids. My daycare kids said to kiss someone, play with them, or be nice to them. My kindergartner scowled at me in response and demanded that I read the question on her yogurt. I told her to answer my question and I’d gladly read her yogurt. Her response was “I don’t believe in your silly God. God isn’t real. He couldn’t have made all this.” And she didn’t say this just once.

The bible says in Philippians 3:14 “I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Paul is telling us to push forward to the goal of heaven. The upward call does not mean we should stop when we have asked Jesus into our life, but to continue striving to be more like Jesus.

What goal are you pressing towards as a mother? I am working for my children to know God and his son Jesus Christ. I desire my children to be a new generation of children who are not worldly, but have a Christ-centered perspective. My desire is to have my kids accept Jesus, but to also continuously grow to be more like Him.

My daughter never did get her yogurt read, and she never answered my question. I gently reminded her that she will get her yogurt read if she participated in the conversation, but this ended when I rebuked her for a disrespectful tone. I pray that one day when she’s a mom she remembers this conversation and she is thankful that I continued to press upward towards the goal.

~Jacquie

No comments:

Post a Comment