Friday, July 23, 2010

Spiritual Morning

I desperately needed a quiet moment alone with Jesus. My daughter was ill through the night, and I spent several hours sleeping in our recliner. I woke early, determined to get in a few minutes of devotions before trying to head sleep-deprived into my day. I was hungry, angry, and beyond tired.

I was not glad to hear the pattering of my son's little feet. I muttered a heartfelt, but cynical prayer to God, “Well thanks. This is exactly what I don't need.”

I determined to read my Bible anyway, hoping my son would play quietly at my feet or go upstairs and bug his dad. He chattered about the good dreams he had last night and the train he was making with his Lego's. I hissed back, “Mommy needs time with Jesus.”

I sarcastically added, “You wanna hear what the Bible says?” True to his enthusiastic nature, my son nearly screamed, “YES!” I scanned the first chapter of John for something that would be four-year-old friendly. “God is light,” I said. “That means everything that is good is from Him. If you ever want to know where God is, look for things that are good.”

My son ran with the idea, verbally 'chewing' on the concept of God's goodness and physically getting more and more excited. He started pacing. “OK, so God is light and the sun is light and stars and everything. And He made 'em. And my dream last night was good so that's [from] God.”

“And Jesus says whenever you talk about Him with someone else, He comes too.” I added sleepily.

“So He's here?” As soon as my son said the words, I sensed the presence of God.

“Yes, honey. He's here.” I couldn't help but smile. The God of the Universe was hanging out with a sleep-deprived mom and an energetic young boy in the wee hours of the morning. Immanuel. God with us.

1 comment:

  1. We often want to do things our way. You wanted to spend time with God your way, but He is so wonderful and can meet us anywhere. Even with chatty kids around. :-)

    ReplyDelete