Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pondering Life

Today I was driving on one of our busiest main roads through town. On this stretch of Peoria, the road is a two-lane divided highway which includes multiple turn-off lanes and a large median. I approached a chaotic intersection - one without a traffic light - and waited to safely turn left in front of on-coming traffic. A man and his dog were crossing the same street in front of me. The dog was leashed, and obediently walked beside his master. In the median, the man stopped to assess the second set of double-lane traffic before continuing to cross the street. I couldn't help but watch the dog. It was sitting next to its master looking straight up at him, tail wagging wildly. I imagined a thought bubble over the dog's head. "Can we play now? Can we? Play? Play now? How 'bout now?" The dog's owner was watching the cars on the street, but the dog was watching him.

I couldn't help but think of Jesus and I in this snapshot of real life. How many times does He lead me across life's traffic to safety? Innumerable times. But how many times am I looking up at Him instead of fretting over the speeding cars? Very few. I got a host of spiritual life lessons out of that image of the man and his dog.

The man is looking out for the dog, not the other way around. I've considered asking Jesus for advice and then stopped short on grounds that I shouldn't add to His burden for the day. Wars, starvation, hurricanes, poverty - surely God has enough on His plate. But Jesus doesn't need me to protect Him from the details of my life. It's absurd thinking of our relationship in that way! Plus, I am completely incapable of the supreme knowledge and control that is necessary to navigate my own life. Best to be obedient and let Him do the leading.

The dog is less aware of its circumstances than it is of its owner. I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing the dog can see the cars whizzing past him and feel the hot pavement under its paws. I'm sure a few horn blasts have the potential to startle it. It's aware of its surroundings, but it is intently focusing on the man. The tail wagging proves this pooch has a relationship with his master - he is not a stranger - and possibly believes good will come out of the walk. There is joyful anticipation in the upward gaze. The dog is well-behaved, walking alongside the man and assumingly happy to be there.

Next time the traffic of life looms impassible, I will remember the dog who looked not at the hectic street, but up the man who could safely get him across.

No comments:

Post a Comment